Wednesday, February 20, 2013

For the first time in my life, here in Maryland, I can say I am a TINY bit tired of winter. Of course, not as much as I'm dreading summer. Florida girl's had enough summer to last for years. I was looking at my last year of pictures and this one was from mid-March:


I'm looking forward to seeing those again. But it is funny, we had just moved and I wasn't like, "FLOWERS!!" I was more like, "Wow, pretty things are growing in my new yard!" It's all very relative. There are always flowers in Florida.

Winter has many delights, though. A warm cup of cocoa in the morning, climbing under a feather-stuffed duvet at night, long quiet nights with the space heater for writing, dancing flakes of snow (though we only got one good snow this year), exceedingly cuddly kitties.

What I actually miss more than warmth is fruit. Of course, February and March aren't good months for fresh produce no matter where you are, though in Florida we do get those honey tangerines that are my FAVORITE. Local farms around here are still providing us with a lot of root veggies: in the past month  I've eaten pounds upon pounds of turnips, red turnips, beets, celeriac, Jerusalem artichoke, parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes, and potatoes. They are delicious, roasted in medleys in big pans with sliced onions, salt, and seasonings. But how I am dreaming of strawberries, fresh peas, asparagus and garlic scapes...

No comments:

Post a Comment